Failed to Return
F/O L J T McCarthy and Crew
F/O McCarthy and crew failed to return from the raid on Gelsenkirchen on 6 November 1944 when flying in PB562.
The crew was as follows:
- F/O L J T McCarthy (P) KIA
- Sgt J D Shilcock (F/Eng) KIA
- Sgt T W Farmer (Nav) KIA
- F/Sgt F L J Colbourn (A/B) KIA
- Sgt S J Lovett (W/Op) KIA
- Sgt L Kendrew (MU/AG) KIA
- F/O F M Kennedy (R/AG) KIA
|F/O L J T McCarthy and crew|
The body of only one of the crew was recovered, Sgt Kendrew is buried in Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, so the remainder are commemorated on the walls at Runnymede.
Other information about the flight and the target available here.
The entry on the 550 Squadron Roll of Honour is available here.