550 Squadron Photos
F/O R F Wallace and Crew
The F/O Wallace crew:
- F/O R F Wallace (P) [KIA]
- Sgt W Field (F/Eng) [KIA]
- Sgt H J E Brownett (Nav) [KIA]
- F/O R W Stephens (A/B) [KIA]
- Sgt G B C Capon (W/Op) [Evd]
- Sgt R H Laney (MU/AG) [PoW]
- Sgt I F Tait (R/AG) [KIA]
On operations to Misburg 15/16 March 1945 in NG287 crewed by the Wallace crew was hit by flak. Five of the crew were killed, one, Sgt Laney, became a PoW and the last, Sgt Capon, was confined to hospital but escaped when the guards holding him were captured by advancing US forces; he was later able to return North Killingholme.
Other information about the flight and the target available here.
The entry on the 550 Squadron Roll of Honour is available here.
Station Narrative No. 15
This narrative, included in the Station Operational Record Book, describes the aftermath of the aircraft being hit by flak.
|Wallace crew, Misburg, 15/16 Mar 1945
Interrogation of Sgt Capon, rescued as a PoW by Allied advance
|(pg. 2 of 2)|